Fr. Bianco's Message for the Week: April 22, 2022
Dear Cathedral Parishioners,
This Sunday is the Second Sunday of Easter or the Sunday of Divine Mercy, which completes the Octave of Easter. It is based on the devotion to the Divine Mercy that Sr. Faustina Kowalska reported as part of her conversations with Jesus and is associated with special promises from Jesus and indulgences issued by the Catholic Church. Pope Saint John Paul II actively promoted this devotion. On April 30, 2000, he canonized Sr. Faustina and the second Sunday of Easter was officially designated as the Sunday of Divine Mercy.
For those who participate in the devotions of Divine Mercy on this Sunday, Jesus promised a complete renewal of baptismal grace, a complete cleansing of the soul, renewing within us all the gifts and graces of the Holy Spirit that we received at our baptism. To participate, one has to use the Sacrament of Reconciliation (this can be done prior to Sunday), receive Holy Communion on Divine Mercy Sunday, venerate the Divine Mercy image, and practice mercy toward others through our actions, words, and prayers on their behalf.
If you would like to participate in the Divine Mercy Sunday devotions, this Sunday, Holy Rosary Parish in Baltimore will offer Mass and devotions beginning at 1:30 PM with Archbishop Lori. Holy Rosary parish is the official Divine Mercy Shrine of the Archdiocese of Baltimore. The devotions will begin around 3:00 PM with exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, Chaplet of Divine Mercy, procession of the Blessed Sacrament, Benediction, and veneration of the relics of Pope St. John Paul II and St. Faustina.
An interesting connection between Holy Rosary Parish and St. Faustina is that the parish’s former and late pastor, Fr. Ronald Pytel, was miraculously cured of a heart condition after praying through the intercession of then Blessed Faustina. The Vatican deemed his cure a miracle and it was used as the second and final miracle needed to canonize Sister Faustina.
Jesus, have mercy on us. Jesus, I trust in you.
May God bless you.
Father Louis A. Bianco
Welcome to The Next Ten! Every weekend, we'll include a list with what's happening in the next ten days at Cathedral. For more details, call the Parish Center (410-464-4000) or visit our website (www.cathedralofmary.org).
The Next Ten:
NEW FOR LENT: Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament & Confessions Monday-Friday from 4:30-5:15 PM
- 4/23 – Divine Mercy Young Adult Retreat – Parish Center – 12-4 PM
- 4/23 – St. Vincent de Paul's 16th Annual Empty Bowls Event – MD Fairgrounds – 12-3 PM
- 4/24 – Loaves & Fishes – Parish Center – 2 PM
- 4/25 – Paul & His Letters: Fr. Bill Burton (Day 1) – Parish Center – 7 PM
- 4/28 – The Chosen Watch Party: Season 2 – Parish Center – 7 PM
- 4/29 – Spring Kids Events
- Kids Night Out – Cathedral Undercroft – 6 PM
- Spring Middle School Mixer – School Gym – 7 PM
- High School Night – Parish Center – 9 PM
- 4/29 – Spirit, Body Word: An Evening of Sacramental Poetry – 7:30 PM – St. Mary's Seminary – FREE!
- 4/30 – Cardinal Cup – 8 AM
Giving Report: Last weekend, offertory and Easter totaled $26,724.07. Poor Box donations were $582.17. Online giving in March totaled $50,521.37. Thank you for your generosity!
Find out more information in how to enroll in Online Giving below.
- Make a one-time gift on FaithDirect at the Archdiocesan giving page (select Cathedral), or by texting the word “Give” to 410-390-0999.
- Set up recurring online giving with Faith Direct (Cathedral’s code is MD500) or by texting the word "Enroll" to 410-390-0999.
- Drop off donations at the rectory - there is a secure box at the front door to leave envelopes/letters.
- Mail your donation to us at 5200 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21210.
- We've created this easy guide to set up online giving.
So far we have raised up to $212,496 which is 85% of our goal.
This year instead of our parish only receiving a portion of funds raised for the Appeal for Catholic Ministries, Cathedral will keep 100% of all donations up to $250,000. Any funds raised over our goal will support the many important ministries of the appeal.
The funds will go towards several projects that will benefit the entire Cathedral campus. For more details please visit our website. Thank you for your generous support!
St Bernadette Relic Tour: May 13-15
From April to August 2022, the relics of Saint Bernadette will tour the United States for the first time, bringing the grace of Lourdes to parishes across the country. The Cathedral of Mary Our Queen will host her relics on Thursday, May 12 - Sunday, May 15.
"The Covid Pandemic has cancelled our last two Pilgrimages [led by the Order of Malta]. Since we can’t travel again this year, we are bringing the Lourdes Pilgrimage to the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen... Everyone is welcome to participate in venerating the Relics, participating in the Masses, Confession, Procession and Anointing of the Sick. This is an opportunity to obtain a Plenary Indulgence."
On Saturday, May 14th, the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen will be hosting Pregnancy Center North’s (PCN) 5th annual Walk for Life.
What is Pregnancy Center North?
PCN, a pro-life pregnancy center located in Towson, MD, is celebrating 40 years of service to women and babies in the Baltimore area! With your help, PCN can continue to offer FREE life-affirming services, such as pregnancy tests, ultrasounds and material assistance, to women facing unexpected pregnancies. Many other local churches will be joining CMOQ as we Walk for Life!
Even if you can’t join us in person, you can still donate on the event page to show your support. For more information, please contact our church champion, Lisa Kantz, at [email protected]
- Mass webcast here - all Masses are livestreamed
- Mass is broadcast Sunday at 11am on Ch.24 (MyTV Baltimore): Comcast (24), Verizon (509), DirecTV/DISH (41).
- myParish app: Download by texting "app" to 88202 or visiting the App store.
- Rosary: Watch on our YouTube channel playlist here.
- Reflections: Sign up here for our weekly email Reflection series.
Pass this along to a friend! Encourage someone you know to sign up for one or more of these options:
- Sign up for these emails here
- Subscribe to our podcast (or on any podcast player!)
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram
Questions? Email Lisa Kantz.