Fr. Bianco's Message for the Week: August 13, 2021
Dear Cathedral Parishioners,
Next weekend we will celebrate our patronal feast, the Queenship of Mary (August 22). It is an opportunity as Catholics, and specifically as Cathedral of Mary Our Queen parishioners, to celebrate the Blessed Virgin Mary as Queen of Heaven and of our lives.
Even though Mary was referred to as “queen” all the way back in the early centuries of the Church, it wasn’t until October 11, 1954 when Pope Pius XII pronounced the new feast of the Queenship of Mary. It was originally celebrated every year on May 31st, but in 1969, Pope Paul VI moved the feast to its current date of August 22nd.
Because ground was broken for this cathedral at the time the new Marian feast was named, it was decided that it would be named for Mary, Our Queen. The Second Vatican Council's Constitution on the Church states that "Mary was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, and exalted by the Lord as Queen of the universe, that she might be more fully conformed to her Son." (Lumen gentium, 59)
Please take this opportunity to learn more about our beautiful cathedral by visiting our website to take a virtual tour or to read the history of how this cathedral came to be.
May God bless you.
Father Louis A. Bianco
The Next Ten:
What's happening in the next ten days at Cathedral. Click on the events below to learn more.
Saturday, 8/22, Loaves & Fishes
Last weekend, offertory was $6,540.00. Poor Box giving was $312.28. Online giving in July totaled $53,188.27. Thank you for your generosity!
- Make a one-time gift on FaithDirect, via our PayPal link, at the Archdiocesan giving page (select Cathedral), or by texting the word “Give” to 410-390-0999.
- Set up recurring online giving with Faith Direct (Cathedral’s code is MD500), here via Paypal, or by texting the word "Enroll" to 410-390-0999.
- Drop off donations at the rectory - there is a secure box at the front door to leave envelopes/letters.
- Mail your donation to us at 5200 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21210.
- We've created this easy guide to set up online giving.
- Mass webcast here - all Masses are livestreamed
- Mass is broadcast Sunday at 11am on Ch.24 (MyTV Baltimore): Comcast (24), Verizon (509), DirecTV/DISH (41).
- myParish app: Download by texting "app" to 88202 or visiting the App store.
- Rosary: Watch on our YouTube channel playlist here.
- Mass Intentions available here.
- Candle offerings available here.
- Reflections: Sign up here for our weekly email Reflection series.
Pass this along to a friend! Encourage someone you know to sign up for one or more of these options:
- Sign up for these emails here
- Subscribe to our podcast (or on any podcast player!)
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram
Questions? Email Lisa Kantz.