Fr. Bianco's Message for the Week: July 16, 2021
Dear Cathedral Parishioners,
In this Sunday’s Gospel, Jesus tells His Apostles, “Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” Doesn’t Jesus’ invitation sound alluring to us? Our Lord knew that His Apostles needed to rest after their missionary work. There was a need to replenish their physical, mental, and spiritual energies, so He invited them to rest in His presence.
Our Lord extends that same invitation to us as well. He knows the rigors of our daily lives and wants us to seek Him out, to find rest in His loving and merciful presence. Our Lord is inviting us to “come away and rest a while” in this beautiful Cathedral Church. Don’t we long for the peace and rest that only God can provide? After a long, rigorous week we come here and are nourished by our Lord’s presence in Word and Sacrament. Mass isn’t just another “thing” to do during our week, but it is an opportunity to give God our time, our love, our whole selves. In return we receive infinitely more than what we give.
If you have been away from the Cathedral because of the pandemic, I invite you to please return. If you have been away from the Church and the Faith for a while for whatever reason, I invite you to consider coming back. Come apart in this holy place and rediscover Jesus in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, which is offered daily. Come apart in this beautiful space and rest in Jesus’ presence before the tabernacle, where our Lord is present Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity. Come apart and reconnect with fellow parishioners who want to worship together, again.
In the Gospel we also hear that when the crowds discovered where Jesus and His Apostles were, they flocked to them because they knew Jesus had what they desired. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if this Cathedral Church were full every week! I invite you to come here weekly, or even daily, to find your true rest in Jesus Christ.
Father Gough and I look forward to seeing you here at the Cathedral.
May God bless you.
Father Louis A. Bianco
The Next Ten:
What's happening in the next ten days at Cathedral. Click on the events below to learn more.
Last weekend, offertory was $15,556.00, and poor box giving was $164.71. Online giving in June totaled $50,820.78. Thank you for your generosity!
- Make a one-time gift on FaithDirect, via our PayPal link, at the Archdiocesan giving page (select Cathedral), or by texting the word “Give” to 410-390-0999.
- Set up recurring online giving with Faith Direct (Cathedral’s code is MD500), here via Paypal, or by texting the word "Enroll" to 410-390-0999.
- Drop off donations at the rectory - there is a secure box at the front door to leave envelopes/letters.
- Mail your donation to us at 5200 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21210.
- We've created this easy guide to set up online giving.
- Mass webcast here - all Masses are livestreamed
- Mass is broadcast Sunday at 11am on Ch.24 (MyTV Baltimore): Comcast (24), Verizon (509), DirecTV/DISH (41).
- myParish app: Download by texting "app" to 88202 or visiting the App store.
- Rosary: Watch on our YouTube channel playlist here.
- Mass Intentions available here.
- Candle offerings available here.
- Reflections: Sign up here for our weekly email Reflection series.
Pass this along to a friend! Encourage someone you know to sign up for one or more of these options:
- Sign up for these emails here
- Subscribe to our podcast (or on any podcast player!)
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram
Questions? Email Fr. Justin Gough