Fr. Bianco's Message for the Week: March 4, 2022
Dear Cathedral Parishioners,
Happy Lent! I was delighted to see so many of you attending Masses on Ash Wednesday. It is encouraging that a good number of people chose to begin their Lenten observance by attending Mass. I continue to encourage you to return to Mass in person if you have not done so already and if your health allows.
Materials to aid you in your Lenten journey at home are on the table in the vestibule and our Lenten prayer cards are at all of the doors. We invite all parishioners to join together in praying the prayer on our prayer card each morning during Lent.
It has already been communicated to you that Dr. Michael Wright, Principal of the School of the Cathedral, will not return after this academic year. He will be moving to Charleston, South Carolina to be closer to family. I, personally, am sorry to say goodbye to Dr. Wright. I have known him since he arrived at our school back in 2007 when he began as a teacher in the Middle School and when I was an associate here. Dr. Wright has done so much to improve our school. For that, we are grateful. May God bless Dr. Wright and his family as they begin this new period in their lives, and may his work in his new position be as fruitful as it was here.
On Saturday, March 5th, Archbishop Lori will celebrate the 5:00 PM Mass here in the Cathedral in support of Ukraine and those in our community with close ties to that country and to pray for peace in that region. I invite us to come together at that Mass as the Cathedral parish to show our solidarity and support for our Ukrainian brothers and sisters. Our Lady, Queen of Peace, pray for us.
I mistakenly wrote in my message last week that Julie Grace Males was announcing at Masses last weekend listening sessions for music ministry. In fact, Julie Grace will be making her announcement at the end of all Masses this weekend. The listening sessions will be conducted after all Masses on two weekends: March 12 and 13 and March 19 and 20. Please consider participating.
In case you have not had the opportunity to commit to this year’s Annual Appeal for Catholic Ministries, there are envelopes in the pews. The Cathedral is allowed to keep all of the funds received up to our goal of $250,000, with everything over goal going to the important and impactful ministries of the Archdiocese of Baltimore. Thank you to all who participated in Appeal Giving Tuesday – Cathedral brought in more gifts than any other parish for a total of $5,425!
Stations of the Cross will be prayed Fridays at 6:15 PM in the main church. We will have a simple Lenten meal of meatless soup and bread afterward in the Undercroft.
Please consider signing up to help provide the meal. We need volunteers for this Friday, March 4th.
May God bless you.
Father Louis A. Bianco
Welcome to The Next Ten! Every weekend, we'll include a list with what's happening in the next ten days at Cathedral. For more details, call the Parish Center (410-464-4000) or visit our website (www.cathedralofmary.org).
The Next Ten:
NEW FOR LENT: Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament & Confessions Monday-Friday from 4:30-5:15 PM
- 3/05 – Mass for Ukraine Celebrated by Archbishop Lori – 5 PM
- 3/06 – First Year Connect Night – 7 PM – Parish Center
- 3/09 – Evening of Praise Holy Hour – 7 PM
- 3/09 – First Communion Workshop – 5 PM – Parish Center
- 3/10 – The Chosen Watch Party – 7 PM – Parish Center
- 3/11 – Stations of the Cross – 6:15 PM – Main ChurchFollowed by a Simple Lenten Meal – Undercroft
- 3/12 – First Communion Workshop – 9:30 AM – Parish Center
- 3/12 – Music Listening Sessions After All Masses
- 3/13 – Music Listening Sessions After All Masses
- 3/13 – Marriage Vow Renewals After All Masses
- 3/16 – The School of the Cathedral Open House – 9 - 11:30 AM – School of the Cathedral
- 3/17 – The Chosen Watch Party – 7 PM
- 3/18 – CRS Meal Packing – 6:30 PM – School Cafeteria
Giving Report: Last weekend, offertory was $5,231.00. Poor Box donations were $202.88.Online giving in February totaled $55,255.50.
Find out more information in how to enroll in Online Giving below.
- Make a one-time gift on FaithDirect at the Archdiocesan giving page (select Cathedral), or by texting the word “Give” to 410-390-0999.
- Set up recurring online giving with Faith Direct (Cathedral’s code is MD500) or by texting the word "Enroll" to 410-390-0999.
- Drop off donations at the rectory - there is a secure box at the front door to leave envelopes/letters.
- Mail your donation to us at 5200 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21210.
- We've created this easy guide to set up online giving.
This year instead of our parish only receiving a portion of funds raised for the Appeal for Catholic Ministries, Cathedral will keep 100% of all donations up to $250,000. Any funds raised over our goal will support the many important ministries of the appeal.
The funds will go towards several projects that will benefit the entire Cathedral campus. Please read the letter below for more details. Thank you for your generous support!
Stations of the Cross & Simple Lenten Meal
Please consider volunteering to provide a meatless soup and/or bread to share for our simple Lenten meals after the Stations of the Cross on Fridays at 6:15 PM.
You can sign up on our website at www.cathedralofmary/news/simple-lenten-meals
This Lent, enter into the desert with reflections by parishioners, communal prayer, and multiple opportunities to live out Prayer, Fasting, and Almsgiving.
How can you participate?
If you haven't already, join our Reflection Flocknote group that will carry on our Lenten reflection or activities throughout the season.
You can also visit our Lenten Schedule for the special Sacrament schedule during Lent, Weekly Events, Donation Schedule, and other Lenten Activities.
- Mass webcast here - all Masses are livestreamed
- Mass is broadcast Sunday at 11am on Ch.24 (MyTV Baltimore): Comcast (24), Verizon (509), DirecTV/DISH (41).
- myParish app: Download by texting "app" to 88202 or visiting the App store.
- Rosary: Watch on our YouTube channel playlist here.
- Reflections: Sign up here for our weekly email Reflection series.
Pass this along to a friend! Encourage someone you know to sign up for one or more of these options:
- Sign up for these emails here
- Subscribe to our podcast (or on any podcast player!)
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram
Questions? Email Lisa Kantz.