Fr. Gough's Message for the Week: November 4, 2022
The Cathedral will celebrate the 63rd anniversary of its dedication and formal opening next weekend. As the Cathedral community, we give thanks to Almighty God for the many graces poured upon his people in this mother church of the Archdiocese of Baltimore. We will observe the Solemnity of the Anniversary of the Dedication of the Cathedral at all Masses next weekend and enjoy several events for parishioners of all ages, including waffles, donuts, coffee, and hot chocolate after all Masses on Sunday, November 13th.
Friday evening (Nov. 11), there will be a Middle School Mixer in the school gym from 7:30-9:00pm and a High School Night in the Parish Center from 9:00-11:00pm. Saturday evening (Nov. 12), Kids Night Out (for K-5) in the Undercroft from 6:00-8:30pm. We also are in desperate need of volunteers to chaperone Kids Night Out. You can register for and sign up to chaperone our youth events at cathedralofmary.org/about/homecoming.
Sunday afternoon (Nov. 13) will kick off this year’s concert series, with a recital by The Borisevich Duo at 3:00pm in the church. Pianist Margarita Loukachkina and violinist Nikita Borisevich are an internationally acclaimed duo who perform frequently across the United States and Europe. Following the concert, all are invited to a Wine & Cheese reception in the rectory. While there is no cost, we do ask you to register for the reception.
The Cathedral Colloquium continues on Monday, November 7 at 7:00pm in the Parish Center with a lecture by Mr. Samuel Rowe, Director of Music at the Basilica of the Assumption, on the use and development of the Requiem Mass since the Middle Ages. The previous two lectures are available on the Cathedral YouTube channel.
Our annual Thanksgiving Collection has begun. We are donating turkeys to Walking with the Wise ministry that supports the Immaculate Conception and St. Cecilia communities downtown. You can make a donation online or in person at the Parish Center by check. The collection will conclude on November 20.
The School of the Cathedral will host another Open House on Tuesday, November 15 at 9:00am. Hear first-hand from parents, students, teachers, and administrators about their Cathedral experience. Please encourage your friends and family to consider Cathedral as an option for their children. Learn more and register at schoolofthecathedral.org/catholic-school-open-houses-in-baltimore/.
Finally, this week the Cathedral will host the USCCB’s Institute on the Catechism, which necessarily impacts our regular schedule. While the church will be closed to the public throughout the day on Thursday and Friday, only adoration and confessions on Thursday will need to be cancelled. All other liturgies on those days will continue as scheduled. Additionally, there will be no 8:15am Mass on Saturday, November 12 and the church will open that day to the public at noon. Thank you for your understanding.
Father Justin Gough
Welcome to The Next Ten! Every weekend, we'll include a list with what's happening in the next ten days at Cathedral. For more details, call the Parish Center (410-464-4000) or visit our website (www.cathedralofmary.org).
The Next Ten:
- 11/04 – First Friday Eucharistic Adoration – 7:30 AM - 5:15 PM
- 11/06 – Confirmation – 7 PM – Parish Center
- 11/07 – Cathedral Colloquium: The Requiem Mass through Ages – 7 PM – Parish Center
- 11/10 – Church Closed to Public – 7:30 AM - 4:00 PMRCIA – 7 PM – Parish Center
- 11/11 – Church Closed to Public – 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
- Homecoming Middle School Mixer – 7:30 PM – School Gym
- Homecoming High School Night – 9 PM – Parish Center
- 11/12 – No 8:15 AM MassHomecoming Kids Night Out – 6 PM – Undercroft
- 11/13 – Homecoming:Waffles, Coffee, & Donuts After All Masses
- Homecoming Concert – 3 PM – Main Church
- Wine & Cheese Reception (RSVP Required) – 4:15 PM – Rectory
- 11/14 – Cathedral Colloquium: Dante Imagine Paradise – 7 PM – Parish Center
- 11/15 – The School of the Cathedral Open House – 9 AM
Thank you for your generosity!
Find out more information in how to enroll in Online Giving below.
- Make a one-time gift on FaithDirect at the Archdiocesan giving page (select Cathedral), or by texting the word “Give” to 410-390-0999.
- Set up recurring online giving with Faith Direct (Cathedral’s code is MD500) or by texting the word "Enroll" to 410-390-0999.
- Drop off donations at the rectory - there is a secure box at the front door to leave envelopes/letters.
- Mail your donation to us at 5200 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21210.
- We've created this easy guide to set up online giving.
Welcome New Families!
New families and parishioners who have joined our Cathedral family! Join us in welcoming the new families.
Joseph Casella and Jasmine Hitt
Sean and Kiley Murphy
Curtis and Kelly Pierce
John Makowski and Bridget Weininger
We are so close to hitting our goal of $250,000 for the Annual Appeal for Catholic Ministries! All funds raised over our goal will support the many important ministries of the archdiocese such as Camp GLOW, a summer camp for adults with disabilities. To learn more please watch the video.
Thank you for your support!
Over 4 weeks, the Cathedral Colloquium will consider how we see heaven in the theology, art, music, and literature of the Middle Ages. Join us October 17 & 24 and November 7 & 14 at 7 PM in the Parish Center.
- Mass webcast here - all Masses are livestreamed
- Mass is broadcast Sunday at 11am on Ch.24 (MyTV Baltimore): Comcast (24), Verizon (509), DirecTV/DISH (41).
- myParish app: Download by texting "app" to 88202 or visiting the App store.
- Rosary: Watch on our YouTube channel playlist here.
- Reflections: Sign up here for our weekly email Reflection series.
Pass this along to a friend! Encourage someone you know to sign up for one or more of these options:
- Sign up for these emails here
- Subscribe to our podcast (or on any podcast player!)
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram
Questions? Email Lisa Kantz.