Fr. Bianco's Message for the Week: October 29, 2021
Dear Cathedral Parishioners,
This week we celebrate the Solemnity of All Saints and the Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls Day). All Saints Day is a feast that the Church would celebrate beginning with the Vigil. The evening before All Saints Day was known as All Hallows Eve, taken from the old English term for holy, which was hallows, and a truncation of the word “evening”, spelled e’en. That is how we get the word Halloween. This now secular holiday has Catholic roots.
Since it falls on Monday, All Saints Day, while a holy day, is not obligatory this year. All Souls Day, commemorated on November 2nd, is the day when we remember all of the faithful departed. All are invited to the 5:30 PM Mass that day as we remember in a special way all those who have passed on this past year from the Cathedral parish. You will find All Souls Day envelopes on the tables by the doors of the cathedral to enlist the names of your deceased loved ones in our All Souls Day Novena. Offering Mass for the Faithful Departed is the most important thing we can do for them, as we know our prayers aid the souls of the faithful departed to heaven.
Also on November 2nd, we will offer Praise and Worship music during adoration of the Blessed Sacrament after the 5:30 PM Mass and a Young Adult Social afterwards. Please note that, due to a conflict on the parish calendar, weekly adoration will be moved from Wednesday, November 3rd to Tuesday, November 2nd for that week only. On the first Wednesday of every month, Praise and Worship music will be offered during adoration.
Homecoming Weekend is fast approaching. All ticket purchases and sign ups will be closed on November 10th. This weekend and next we are selling 50/50 raffle tickets for the Bull and Oyster Roast in the narthex of the church after all Masses. We accept cash, checks, and credit cards. Please remember that Homecoming is for the entire Cathedral community and is not just a school family event.
May God bless you.
Father Louis A. Bianco
The Next Ten:
- 10/30 – Coffee and Conversation: Vatican II – 9:15 AM – Belvedere Square's Atwater's
- 11/02 – Paul & The Early Church - Fr. Bill Burton – 7 - 8:30 PM – Parish Center
- 11/02 – Evening of Praise & Young Adult Social – 7 - 8:30 PM – Social Afterwards at Full Tilt Brewing
- 11/05 – First Friday Adoration – 7:30 AM - 5 PM
- 11/06 – Coffee and Conversation: Vatican II – 9:15 AM – Belvedere Square's Atwater's
- 11/07 – Rejoice & Sing: Baltimore Choral Arts Concert – 3 PM
- 11/07 – First Year Connect Night – 6:30 PM
Giving Report: Last weekend, offertory was $7,881.60. Poor Box donations were $167.18.
Online giving in September totaled $56,354.88. Thank you for your generosity!
- Make a one-time gift on FaithDirect at the Archdiocesan giving page (select Cathedral), or by texting the word “Give” to 410-390-0999.
- Set up recurring online giving with Faith Direct (Cathedral’s code is MD500) or by texting the word "Enroll" to 410-390-0999.
- Drop off donations at the rectory - there is a secure box at the front door to leave envelopes/letters.
- Mail your donation to us at 5200 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21210.
- We've created this easy guide to set up online giving.
Homecoming will be November 12-14 this year! Buy your Bull & Oyster Roast tickets and Kids Events on our website at www.cathedralofmary.org/about/homecoming
Paul & The Early Church - Fr. Bill Burton
Tuesdays from 7-8:30
Join our Annual Teaching by Fr. Bill Burton on Paul on the Early Church! Dive into who Paul was and his writings for four Tuesdays starting November 2nd from 7-8:30 PM.
Sign up here:
- Mass webcast here - all Masses are livestreamed
- Mass is broadcast Sunday at 11am on Ch.24 (MyTV Baltimore): Comcast (24), Verizon (509), DirecTV/DISH (41).
- myParish app: Download by texting "app" to 88202 or visiting the App store.
- Rosary: Watch on our YouTube channel playlist here.
- Reflections: Sign up here for our weekly email Reflection series.
Pass this along to a friend! Encourage someone you know to sign up for one or more of these options:
- Sign up for these emails here
- Subscribe to our podcast (or on any podcast player!)
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram
Questions? Email Lisa Kantz.