Fr. Gough's Message for the Week: September 10, 2021
With Father Bianco away, I’m pinch-hitting to write this week’s Message. Let me take this opportunity to thank you for the warm welcome you’ve given me. My heart is full of gratitude to the Lord every day for the gift of serving our Cathedral parish and school. You are in my prayers; please keep me in yours.
With the new school year underway, we are preparing to launch our sacramental preparation programs on Sunday, September 19. Registrations for First Communion and Confirmation preparation are now open. Visit cathedralofmary.org/sacraments for more information and to register. Please also consider how you can support our Faith Formation programs by becoming a catechist. For questions, contact our Director of Evangelization and Faith Formation, Chris McCullough ([email protected]).
As we remember this weekend the horrific events of 20 years ago, we lift up in prayer the victims of the terror attacks of September 11, 2001 and humbly ask our merciful Father to pour his Spirit of peace upon the earth. At the same time, inspired by the Letter of Saint James, from which we have been reading for the past several weeks, we strive to be rich in both faith and works (cf. Jas. 2:17) and thus ask for the grace to be conduits of the Lord’s peace and unity by our actions.
In the Gospel this weekend, Jesus asks his disciples, “Who do you say that I am?” (Mk. 8:29). He asks that same question to each of us. Do we know who Jesus is? It’s one thing to know our Catechism; but Jesus desires for us to know him even more intimately. He calls us his friends (cf. Jn. 15:15), and friends are supposed to know each other! Let us draw closer to the Lord Jesus in our daily prayer, our participation at Mass, and by spending time with him in Eucharistic Adoration. Don’t forget about our new weekly Adoration on Wednesdays from 6-8PM. We had an amazing turn-out this past week. Come and see, so that you can answer Jesus’ question for yourself: “Who do you say that I am?”
May God bless you.
Father Justin A. Gough
The Next Ten:
9/11 & 9/12 Marriage Anniversary Blessing at all Masses
9/12 Worthy of the Call Training –10:30 AM Parish Center
9/18 Nun Run (Virtual) Register here.
9/19 Catechetical Sunday – 9:30AM Mass
9/19 Parents & Catechists FFF Meeting – 10:45AM SCMOQ
9/19 Confirmation Connect Night – 7:00PM Parish Center
Last weekend, offertory was $6,460.08. Poor Box donations were $171.02. Online giving in August totaled $$56,941.83. Thank you for your generosity!
- Make a one-time gift on FaithDirect at the Archdiocesan giving page (select Cathedral), or by texting the word “Give” to 410-390-0999.
- Set up recurring online giving with Faith Direct (Cathedral’s code is MD500) or by texting the word "Enroll" to 410-390-0999.
- Drop off donations at the rectory - there is a secure box at the front door to leave envelopes/letters.
- Mail your donation to us at 5200 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21210.
- We've created this easy guide to set up online giving.
- Mass webcast here - all Masses are livestreamed
- Mass is broadcast Sunday at 11am on Ch.24 (MyTV Baltimore): Comcast (24), Verizon (509), DirecTV/DISH (41).
- myParish app: Download by texting "app" to 88202 or visiting the App store.
- Rosary: Watch on our YouTube channel playlist here.
- Reflections: Sign up here for our weekly email Reflection series.
Pass this along to a friend! Encourage someone you know to sign up for one or more of these options:
- Sign up for these emails here
- Subscribe to our podcast (or on any podcast player!)
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram
Questions? Email Lisa Kantz.