NEW: Monsignor's Message on Fun Friday! May 14, 2021
Welcome to Monsignor's Message on Fun Friday! Every Friday, we'll send Monsignor Woy's Message for the Week (which you'll also find in printed version at weekend Masses again!), along with a trivia question and the Mass registration for weekend Masses.
Monsignor Woy's Message for the Week:
I am delighted to once again be writing a column for a printed Sunday bulletin. As we approach the summer, I want to give a quick update on the finances of the parish. Needless to say, the COVID pandemic has challenged us in ways we could never have imagined.
The finances of the parish are stable. If current trends hold, the parish will finish the fiscal year on June 30th with an operative surplus of approximately $400K. Offertory income has been stable and the parish has been the beneficiary of a number of significant unbudgeted donations and gifts. Operating expenses are also below budget due to a significant reduction in ministerial and administrative staff during the pandemic.
The parish has two significant outstanding debts. The larger is a $1.8m debt for past capital projects and repairs and second is $450K due for past cathedraticum (archdiocesan support). Both debts are being serviced. The larger is part of a 30-year bond debt which should be retired in 2037. Whereas, the archdiocesan tax, which is interest free, is being paid down monthly as funds are available.
I have been very cautious managing the finances throughout the pandemic in order to build up reserves which will permit the rehire of necessary pastoral (youth, religious education) and administrative (business manager) staff. Also, a major priority moving forward will be the rebuilding of our music program, both the traditional choir and the contemporary ensemble.
I want to thank you for your financial support of the parish through this challenging time. We are not at the end of the tunnel yet, but there are hopeful signs of brighter days ahead. May I ask your continued support? As I do every spring and fall, I encourage the use of electronic giving through Faith Direct. Electronic giving is convenient, safe, and assures perfect attendance of your church support even if you are unable to join us for Sunday Mass. Currently, about 45% of offertory income is received through Faith Direct. Click here to see our handy guide for setting up Faith Direct.
Finally, a brief word about our wonderful school. Thanks to the hard work and tireless effort of Dr. Michael Wright, his administration and dedicated faculty, our children have experienced a very successful year of “in person” learning. We expect an increase in student enrollment for the fall term, and our academic program continues to thrive. To date, our 28 graduating 8th graders have been awarded over $662K in merit scholarships! High schools pay Cathedral graduates to attend their schools.
I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. On our parish website, you will find a roster of the finance committee membership.
In the Lady Chapel, to what do the windows on the left refer?
- The Immaculate Conception of Mary
- Mary's Assumption
- Mary as Mother of Jesus
Good luck! The answer is found below Mass Registration.
Fun Friday answer: The windows on the left side of the Lady Chapel refer to the Immaculate Conception, i.e. Mary's total preservation from the state of original sin.
- Make a one-time gift on FaithDirect, via our PayPal link, at the Archdiocesan giving page (select Cathedral), or by texting the word “Give” to 410-390-0999.
- Set up recurring online giving with Faith Direct (Cathedral’s code is MD500), here via Paypal, or by texting the word "Enroll" to 410-390-0999.
- Drop off donations at the rectory - there is a secure box at the front door to leave envelopes/letters.
- Mail your donation to us at 5200 North Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21210.
- We've created this easy guide to set up online giving.
- Mass Registration
- Mass webcast here - all Masses are livestreamed
- Worship Aids here
- Mass is broadcast Sunday at 11am on Ch.24 (MyTV Baltimore) or wherever MyTV is listed on your tv guide.
- myParish app: Download by texting "app" to 88202 or visiting the App store.
- Rosary: Watch on our YouTube channel playlist here.
- Mass Intentions available here.
- This week's Mass intentions can be found here.
- Candle offerings available here.
- Reflections: Sign up here for our weekly email Reflection series.
- Sign up for these emails here
- Subscribe to our podcast (or on any podcast player!)
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram
Questions? Email Beth Mayr.